The Venice Academy of Human Rights is an international and interdisciplinary programme of excellence for human rights education, research and debate. It provides an enriching forum for emerging ideas, practices...
There is currently a bill before the U.S. House of Representatives to establish a Department of Peacebuilding. This historic measure will augment our current problem-solving options, providing practical, nonviolent solutions to the problems of domestic and international conflict. The legislation will pass from bill to law under one condition: that a wave of citizen interest rise up from the American people and make itself heard in the halls of Congress. During the 20th Century, over 100 million people lost their lives to war — most of whom were non-combatants. Now, at the dawn of the 21st century, the extent and current speed of nuclear proliferation makes the achievement of non-violent alternatives to war the most urgent need of the human race.
- Provide much-needed assistance to efforts by city, county, and state governments in coordinating existing programs; as well as develop new programs based on best practices nationally
- Teach violence prevention and mediation to America’s school children
- Effectively treat and dismantle gang psychology
- Rehabilitate the prison population
- Build peace-making efforts among conflicting cultures both here and abroad
- Support our military with complementary approaches to peacebuilding.
- Create and administer a U.S. Peace Academy, acting as a sister organization to the U.S. Military Academy.
Join a Conversation or Support the Campaign! Monthly Calls on 3rd Mondays – Register or learn more at the links below.
- Listen to the recording of a call featuring Rita Marie Johnson on Being Peace and the Costa Rica process to a Ministry of Justice and Peace
- Register for Monthly Campaign calls: Third Mondays at 5pm PT/8pm ET and all time zones in-between
- Email Nancy@peacealliance.org to receive monthly email updates and reminders the week before each call or for general inquiries about the campaign–better yet, let her know you’re ready to work and one of us will speak with you more.
Take Action! Tell Congress to get behind H.R. 1111, legislation to establish a U.S. Dept. of Peacebuilding.
If you call, email or otherwise contact your representative in support of a U.S. Dept. of Peacebuilding, please record your action!